*Updated post from 2012
I love to BBQ but am not one of those brave souls that will grill in frigid temps. We have had cold and rain for two weekends in a row so I have not fired up the BBQ. I am dusting off my crockpot to get some pulled pork goodness with a smoky, homemade BBQ sauce instead.
Pulled Pork Sammies.
What I use:
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon minced, dehydrated onion flakes
pinch salt and pepper (its easier to add more later)
2 pound pork loin, or cottage roll* if using a seasoned cottage roll don't add salt and pepper*
1 jar of tomato sauce
2-3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
2 tablespoons malt vinegar
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
What I do:
- Mix the first three ingredients from Part 1 together in your slow cooker.
- Put the pork in and roll it around in the seasoning.
- Cook on LOW for 4-5 hours. *Internal meat temperature 165 degrees farenheit
- Mix the sauce ingredients listed in Part 2.
- Pour over the pork and cook another 1-2 hours.Often we will complete the recipe up to the third step and have this for dinner one night and use the left over pork to make the BBQ Pulled Pork Sammies the next day. Just add leftover pork to crockpot and cook in sauce for two to three hours.
Food Safety Reference HealthyCanadians.gc.ca