|Image from finecooking.com|
Spicy Apple and Blueberry Crisp.
2 cups large flake oats
1/2 cup Brown Sugar Blend Splenda
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup margarine
1 tablespoon canola oil* or any bland oil
1 pinch salt
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice blend
3 cups blueberries
1 1/2 cups apples (Approximately 3 large)
3 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup Granulated Splenda because it measures cup for cup like sugar.
What I did:
- Combine the ingredients in Mixture #1 with a fork, it will look crumbly.
- Combine Mixture #2 in a separate bowl. I prefer Granny Smith apples- peeled, cored, sliced.
- Toss the apple slices in orange juice to discourage browning.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Grease a large baking dish, I use my 2.5 L Corning Ware dish.
- Add blueberry and apple mixture to pan first.
- Sprinkle crisp mixture evenly over the fruit.
- Bake 35-45 minutes in a preheated 350 F oven until the top is brown and filling is bubbly.
Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, or my favourite fresh FUSSELL'S Thick Cream.
Granny Smith apples are tart but stay nice and firm when used in pies and crisps.
Butter can be used instead of margarine. I would omit the oil and increase the butter portion by 2 tablespoons instead.
I buy loads of fresh blueberries when they are in season. Wash and dry them, then freeze in 1/2 cup portions to use all winter long. Defrost them in your fridge about 3-4 hours before they are needed.
Disclosure: Original post date 09/13/11. This is not a sponsored post.