These are two activities I have done many times with my preschool students following the REINDEER theme. With a few simple items from the Dollar Store you can create two fun projects, one to eat and one to share with Santa. The candy cane has become a universally recognized Christmas treat. With the option of so many flavours to choose from, you can be sure to find a variety that everyone will love. My favourite are the cherry flavoured canes.
Candy Cane Reindeer Craft
What I Used:
1 box of candy canes (any flavour, mine held 9 plastic wrapped canes)
1 package of chenille wires
1 package of craft google eyes (need 2 for each candy cane)
small red pom poms (need 1 for each candy cane)
Non-toxic Glue Stick
- Make sure your candy canes are the kind that are plastic wrapped.
- Twist the chenille wires onto the top of the candy cane and fold ends into antler shapes.
- Use glue stick to attach eyes and pom pom nose.
- Stand the finished project in a glass to dry at least an hour.
When dry- Hang on Christmas tree, attach to gifts for decoration, or peel wrapper and enjoy a treat!
Makes Enough for 4 children:
1 cup of oats
1/3 of coloured sugar (coarse)
1/4 cup sprinkles
Copies of the poem (scissors & hole punch)
twist ties or ribbon
4 food storage bags
What I did:
- Mix the oats, coloured sugar and sprinkles in a bowl.
- Scoop by spoonfuls into your food storage bags. I used Dollar Store cello bags.
- Write your poem on a 3x3 piece of card stock paper or print out from computer and trim to size.
- Punch a hole in your poem and secure to the bag with ribbon or twist ties.
Sprinkle on the lawn at night
The moon will make it sparkle bright
As Santa's reindeer fly and roam
This will guide them to your home Author Unknown
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas !