- I cut open the pumpkin and scooped the contents in a bowl.
- Using large freezer bags, I divided the contents up into four bags.
- I put a teaspoon of food colouring into each of the three bags, leaving one bag plain.
- Squeeze the air out of each bag before sealing tight. I also used heavy duty packing tape to tape the zipper seal shut.
- It is recommended to have one sensory activity item per infant. Direct supervision at all times is a must when playing with any item that could be a choking hazard.
The infants were able to explore the pumpkin stuff without putting the seeds in their mouth or risking allergic reaction (especially if they haven't yet had pumpkin or squash yet).
Fine motor exercise as the babies squeeze the materials.
Visual comparison and observation as they see the food colouring mix through the orange pumpkin stuff.