Sweet & Sour Slow-Cooked Ribs With Strawberry Summer Salad.
This recipe is one that I made up because I love the taste of BBQ, but have never owned one. I don't love the over-sweetened taste of jarred BBQ sauces though. So I always try to cut the sweetness by adding a little vinegar (acid), and a hint of lemon (sour). This will give a more complex flavour. Make people think more is going on in the dish, without really being a complicated recipe.
Sweet & Sour Slow-Cooked Ribs With
Strawberry Summer Salad.
In a slow-cooker, place:
- 2 lbs of short ribs, par-cooked
- 1 jar of Chicken & Rib BBQ Sauce, My favourite is DIANA Brand.
- 1/4 cup malt vinegar/ or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of Lemon Pepper Mrs. Dash
- 2-4 shots of worchestershire sauce
- 2 Tablespoons of apple juice
Prep List for the Ribs:
- Cut the rib racks into managable pieces. I had two long slabs, so cut them into 2 or 3 pieces each until they could fit into my stock pot.
- Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, add 1 Tablespoon of salt.
- Let the ribs simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Remove ribs from water.
- Add to slow-cooker with sauce ingredients.
- Cook 4 hours on HIGH, or 6 hours on LOW.
Super-easy Strawberry Summer Salad
Shopping and Prep:
In a large bowl place:
- Baby spinach, a large handful per person.
- 1/4 pound of strawberries, washed stemmed, and sliced.
- 1/2 a green onion per person, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons of Poppy Seed Dressing, per person
- Spring Mix or other Lettuces
- 2 tablespoons of toasted almond slivers.
- Other mild vegetables: cucumber, mushroom, red pepper, carrot.
- Crispy, Fried Chow Mein noodles
Reminder: Please remember to sanitize all surfaces, dishes and utensils that the raw pork has contacted. This goes for chicken recipes too. Swap out for clean utensils and platters when the food is cooked.