Ornaments Made With Salt Dough (Updated).
Salt Dough Recipe For Ornaments:
- 1 1/4 cup salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup warm tap water*
- 1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
- Combine the flour and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix liquid ingredients into the flour/salt mixture.
- (Put on your gloves) and knead the dough well until it gets a smooth consistency. Add a little more flour if the dough is too sticky. Or likewise, sprinkle more water if it is too stiff.
- Divide dough into 1/2's or 1/3's, roll out, and cut with cookie cutter shapes.
- Store unused dough in an airtight container between use. (It will only last about 3 days this way).
- Use a straw to poke a hole near the top of your shape before setting it aside to air dry.
- I usually get about 12 ornaments depending on how big the cookie cutters are.
- Put salt dough shapes on a parchment lined tray and air dry for 2-4 days. Carefully flip them over every 12-24 hours.
- Optional- Add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla or peppermint extract to the dough while kneading.
Tip for handling: Buy disposable food handling gloves from the dollar store ~ I find the salt really hurts my hands if making large quantities.
|Basic ingredients for the recipe. My Dollar Store cookie cutters|
were about 2 inches long. You don't want
really small or delicate cutters. The limbs may break on
your gingerbread people.
|I don't own a rolling pin, so dust a wine bottle with|
flour and use it instead. Dip your cookie cutters in
|I only cut 6 ornaments from this batch. Had a little dough leftover |
to make the 7th ornament. I rolled out two "snakes", twisted the
two long pieces into a candy cane shape,
and pinched the ends together.
Judy - JUDY H-J'S THOUGHTS
I'm actually stopping by your blog from the Tuesday hop... congrats on being the featured blogger! I'm following!
I write a humor blog about all things motherhood, and I'd love it if you'd stop in sometime! It's usually good for laughs, and sometimes even a snort or two! Hope you see you there, and have a very happy holiday!
Smiles, Jenn @Misadventures in Motherhood