Crust Free Pumpkin Pie- Low On The Guilt Scale. #Thanksgiving #recipe
What I Used:
- one large (15 oz) can of 100% pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup of skim or 2% evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon of Rum flavored extract.
- non-stick baking spray
- 1 large (10 inch) or 2 medium (8 inch) aluminum pie plates/ or square pan.
What I Did:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Whisk cornstarch with cold milk until all the lumps are incorporated.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a mixer, mix until smooth.
- Add cornstarch and milk slurry.
- Spray the pan/s with non-stick cooking spray.
- Pour mixture into one big pan or divide between 2 smaller pans.
- Bake at 400 F for first 10 minutes, reduce heat to 350 F for 20 minutes.
- Test done-ness by gently tapping the center. It should be springy, with no squish. Be careful not to over bake, the pie will firm up as it cools.
- Cool completely before attempting to slice and serve.
My crust free pies were born from two necessities- (1) 6 years ago I was on a calorie restricted diet and determined to have my pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and Christmas. (2) I am hopelessly inept at making crust and don't really like it anyway. Cooking the filling at a higher temp for a few minutes will give the pie a false crust. While cooking it at the lower temp will help get it cooked through to the middle. I have attempted this pie with both metal pans and glass dishes. It does not come out nearly as well as it does in the aluminum pans. Caution: If you use a pan with sides that are too deep, it will be nearly impossible to slide out the slices.
Recipe Inspiration: All Recipes.com
Image Credits: Pumpkin pie, pumpkins.
*This post was not sponsored or endorsed by any of the brands mentioned within.