Easy Peasy Mac & Cheese-y.
Mac & Cheese.
3 cups (dry macaroni or fusili pasta)
large pot of boiling water* with 2 Tablespoons of salt added
2 Tablespoons of margarine, oil or butter
2 Tablespoons flour
2 cups of milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon mustard powder
2 cups of shredded or cubed cheese
1 cup Cheese Nips, crushed
What I Did:
- Boil your water in a large pot. It takes at least 8 minutes for my heavy pot to come to rolling boil so I do the cheese sauce while I'm waiting.
- Grease a large glass baking dish.
- In a medium saucepan, melt 2 Tablespoons of margarine on medium-low heat.
- Add 2 Tablespoons of AP flour and stir well until smooth.
- Continue to stir and let the Rue bubble for about 2 minutes to cook the flour. A little browning is okay. It will give a nutty flavour, but don't let it burn.
- Slowly whisk milk into the cooked rue.
- Add mustard powder, and salt, continuing to stir until it starts to thicken.
- Add cheese, stir, and remove from heat. Set this aside until your pasta is ready and drained.
- Add salt and pasta to boiling water, cook for about 5 mins and test for done-ness. You want it a little al dente (firm) because it will cook again in the oven.
- Drain pasta, and add the cheese sauce, mix well.
- Pour into a greased baking dish.
- Top with crushed Cheese Nips.
- Bake 30 minutes.
I use a mixture of my favourite cheeses- Havarti with Roasted Garlic, Havarti with Garden Vegetable, Sharp Cheddar, Asiago, Gruyere, Mozzarella.
Add 1/4 cup cooked bacon or ham to the cheese and pasta before baking.
Top with bread crumbs instead of Cheese Nips. This is my mother's traditional way of topping Mac & Cheese- 1 1/2 cups of fine bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon of melted butter, 1/2 teaspoon of sage, 1/2 teaspoon oregano.