Pantry Chicken Soup- "Wah, Everyone Is Sick Again!"
Pantry Chicken Soup.
Shopping & Preparation List:
- 1 carton (approx. 1 L), low-sodium chicken broth- Why do the work, when someone has done it for you?
- 1/4 cup carrot, shaved with fine sided grater-because I don't feel like chopping.
- 1/2 cup frozen vegetables- I used a mixture of Green Giant peas, and corn.
- 1 handful of spaghettini broken into smaller pieces- or egg noodles. (It should be about 1/2 cup noodles.)
- 1 Tablespoon onion flakes- equal to about 1/4 cup chopped onion.
- 2 teaspoons Mrs. Dash Herb & Garlic Seasoning.
- 1/4-1/2 cup cooked chicken, shredded or chopped- Add after the noodles have been boiling 5 minutes.
- 1 cup boiling water.*
What I Do:
- Combine ingredients in a 2-3 L pot.
- Bring to a boil, simmer on low for about 8-10 minutes until pasta is cooked. I never liked al dente pasta, but I don't like it mushy either.
- Have your kettle filled and ready to top up the stock a little if it is looking a little too thick for you.
- 2 - 3 splashes of low-sodium Soya Sauce.
- 1 green onion, cut fine with kitchen shears. (If I don't have green onion, add a few teaspoons of dried chives.)
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley, one small bunch of fresh if you have it.
- Small handful of fried chow mein noodles.
- add fresh bean sprouts, after cooking.
- use other quick cooking vegetables like sliced zucchini, baby corn, green beans, or broccoli florets.
- use 1/4 cup rice instead of noodles, increase cooking time to accomodate the recommended time for the rice. If you're using 20 minute rice, cook the rice in broth and seasonings first and add vegetables nearer to the end, about the last 7 minutes. If using minute rice, do the opposite and add the rice in at the last minute.
Today, we are on our second round of sickness since Labour Day (14 days ago). I craved this soup yesterday because I woke up achy and sniffly. No one complained that we only had soup and grilled cheese sandwiches for supper. We were to miserable to cook anything else.